Declared a protected area in 1992, "Gabbara" is the wooded area that "Italia Nostra" and WWF report as protected areas because they have vast and extensive areas of eucalyptus and free of undergrowth and in areas with predominantly oaks and oak woods, with undergrowth richer.
The wooded area of Mustigarufi, became a protected area in 1992 by the will of WWF Italy Nostra together with that of Gabbara. In addition to vast areas in eucalyptus, very extensive and free of undergrowth, there are also oak woods with rich undergrowth.
Built after the first half of 1600 and rebuilt in the first half of 700, the church of St. Joseph in San Cataldo was seriously damaged by a landslide, but later, in the nineteenth century was restored and refurbished; and further on enlarged by Isidoro Amico.
The archaeological site of Vassallaggi is located in a territory in the middle valley of the Salso, at 704 m above sea level, located east of San Cataldo, just over 5 km away and articulates on five hills, from which the view extends along the ancient river Imera South (today Salty river).
The route starts from the Complex of Calvary, entering the protected area of Gabbara, continues across the two equipped areas of Mustigarufi, then leads to the provincial road 160. You can return to San Cataldo following the Provincial Road, as indicated on the map, or back along the same route.