Vassallaggi

The archaeological site of Vassallaggi is located in a territory in the middle valley of the Salso, at 704 m above sea level, located east of San Cataldo, just over 5 km away and articulates on five hills, from which the view extends along the ancient river Imera South (today Salty river).

A necropolis of great importance, with hundreds of tombs. There are oven tombs, dating from the Early Bronze Age; chamber tombs proto age and in the sixth century. B.C. tombs in caves, some very large containing multiple burials on the slopes and at the foot of the hills. These tombs have yielded interesting kits: Attic vases with red figures, bronze ornaments: rings, buckles, knives, spears, coins, scrapers, decorative plates.

At the site there were also found Christian graves, dating from the fifth century. AD, converted from the prehistoric caves surrounding the site occupies an important position for the control of the central valley of the Salty river and high river Plane trees, a valuable military outpost located in a particularly strategic area, between the north and south of Sicilia.
Hellenized by Greek colonists-rhodium-Cretan, and known since the nineteenth century, only after 1900 was the subject of excavations, which until the sixties gave brilliant results with the discovery of significant traces of human presence from the Bronze Age to the early centuries of Christianity. Remains of walls, houses, urban tracks, tombs and places of worship stand as evidence of a flourishing past in a place today next to today's town of San Cataldo.

The numerous handemade objects some of which are perfectly preserved, are now on display in various museums in Sicily. Due to its favorable location, the site was very popular starting from Ancient Bronze Age (2200-1450 BC), which relate to the necropolis of artificial caves that open on the sides of the second hill and the village on the top of the same hill , idicated by many fragments of pottery decorated in the style of Castelluccio.

Among the centuries 8th and 7th century a.c., an indigenous settlement is planted on the third hill, documented by many ceramic findings in the style of S. Angelo Muxaro - Polizzello. It is linked to a necropolis chamber tomb excavated on the southern slopes of the same hill. The archaeological investigation documents to Vassallaggi, around the middle of the fifth century. a.c. a violent destruction followed by a rapid reconstruction.

That fact, in conjunction with the location of the site, was considered a proof of identification Vassallaggi with the ancient city of Motyon, mentioned by ancient historians (Diodorus IX) as a military stronghold of Agrigento conquered in 451 BC by Ducezio leader, placing himself at the head of the confederation of the Sicilians in revolt against the Greeks of Sicily.

 

Video Archaeological Site of Vassallaggi

On the road

Video drone

.