The city of San Cataldo is located about 625 meters above sea level, it counts 23,247 inhabitants and lies in the province of Caltanissetta, it is the fourth most populous town in the province.
The City of San Cataldo, between the towns of Serradifalco, Mussomeli and Caltanissetta, situated within the district and rises in the hilly interior of the plateau sulphite Sicilian, (former mining area). It is 63 km from Agrigento, just 9 km from Caltanissetta, 50 km from Enna, 124 km from Catania and 164 km from Palermo. One river, the "Salito" crosses the territory of San Cataldo and characterizes its basin with numerous springs that come from the foot of Mount Schiavo at Santa Caterina Villarmosa, and upland between Portella of Taurus and Babbaurra, rich in water wells partially drinkable. To the south-west of the city, there is a nursing home for the elderly, an orphanage, the "House of the Worker" and the hospital complex "Maddalena Raimondi".
The climate that characterizes the City of San Cataldo is fairly mild, despite its altitude, it is continental with winters relatively cold and summers are hot; in fact the summer presents warmer moisture values but not excessive, with temperatures approaching more and more to 40 ° C. In winter, snowfalls become increasingly rare , the air is healthy and the temperature rarely drops below zero.
On the ruins of the ancient house of "Caliruni" the City of San Cataldo was built at the beginning of the17th century. Within the territory, near Vassallaggi, about 5 kilometers east of San Cataldo, there is evidence of human habitation dating back to the 5th-6th century BC. It was a barony, then town, founded by Prince Nicolo Galletti in 1607 , requesting on July 18th the license by King Philip III of Sicily (license populandi). The license allowed to build and populate the old house "Calironi", located within the barony of Fiumesalato.
The village was populated by immigration from neighboring towns and villages such as Sutera, Mussomeli, Petralia, and also from the more distant, as Gangi, Castrogiovanni and Caltanissetta. The village was named after San Cataldo, already venerated in the barony of Gagliano Castelferrato (present province of Enna), formerly owned by the family Galletti. In 1623 the village had 722 inhabitants; in 1651 there were about 1,607. In 1699 it reached 3,066 inhabitants.
In 1921 there were 23,486 inhabitants. Over the years, San Cataldo has undergone several renovations in terms of urban development, to the point that today seems like a new city, where buildings prevail recent and very few buildings that can boast a good historical value. Since the founding of the City until 1817 San Cataldo was part of the province of Girgenti (now Agrigento).
Until 1844/45 the local church community depended on the Diocese of Girgenti and what occurred following the establishment in 1093 of that diocese for diploma of Great Count Ruggero, who appointed him bishop of St.Gerlando and endowed tenth of a vast territory that extended Salsa to the river and the ownership of the land mentioned in the said certificate with the name of "Cathal" that stood in the place "citra Salsum"; from this comes the hypothesis anything but unfounded that the name St. Cataldo refers to the property the diocese received through various steps to the same Barresi. This name was given to the town in honor of the holy bishop of Taranto of Irish origin, as was St. Fara. It is symptomatic of the fact that where the cult of San Cataldo is practiced the cult of St. Fara is too, first superior of an abbey founded by St. Colombano, companion of St. Gallen, also Irish.